As a general rule, Texas law requires all motorcycle drivers and riders to wear a helmet that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #218. There are two exceptions to that general rule. If you are at least 21 years of age and have either completed an approved Motorcycle Operator Training Course, or if you can provide proof of at least $10,000 in medical insurance coverage, you are not required by law to wear a motorcycle helmet.
If a helmet meets FMVSS #218, the manufacturer is permitted to print a DOT label on the outside rear of the helmet. Not all motorcycle helmets are created equal. Remember that FMVSS #218 is a minimum safety standard. If you are looking for a helmet that meets higher safety standards, look for one approved by independent safety organizations like Snell or ANSI.
Just as not all helmets are created equal, not all attorneys are created equal. Houston motorcycle accident attorney Richard LaGarde is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization as being an expert in both personal injury and civil trial law. That’s an accomplishment achieved by less than one-half of one percent of Texas attorneys. If you’ve been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident or if you have lost a loved one, call Richard LaGarde for a free chat about your rights and what steps you need to take to protect your rights. Time is often of the essence so don’t delay. Call toll free at 1-866-LAGARDE (1-866-524-2733) or, if you prefer, fill out the Contact Us form on this website.
- Am I covered under the Jones Act?
- Can I pursue a wrongful death claim regarding my family member’s death?
- Can I receive compensation for a car accident or truck accident injury?
- Can I receive compensation for an oil rig injury?
- Can I receive compensation if I was injured by a product, such as a ladder or a power tool?
- Can I still receive compensation if I am partially responsible for my own injury?
- Do I have a personal injury case?
- Does Texas law require me to wear a motorcycle helmet?
- How much is my case worth?
- How much will it cost to hire a lawyer?
- How should I choose a lawyer?
- If I am injured while on someone else’s property, can I receive compensation?
- What are compensatory damages?
- What Are Mineral Rights?
- What can I do if someone is spreading false information about my business?
- What if I am not sure who is at fault for my injury?
- What if the person at fault for my accident is deceased?
- What is a material breach?
- What Is a Wrongful Death Claim?
- What is repudiation of a contract?
- What is the Death on the High Seas Act?
- What is the difference between mediation and arbitration?
- What Is the Jones Act?
- What makes a trucking accident different from other auto accidents?
- What should I do after an accident or injury?
- What should I do if I am having trouble with a business insurance claim?
- What should I do if I feel that my insurance claim was unfairly denied?
- What should I do if I’m involved in a traffic accident?
- Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana?
- Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas?
- Will I have to testify in court for my personal injury case?
- Will my case have to go to trial?