Louisiana has a set of structured rules that govern who may file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The state gives the surviving spouse and surviving children the right to file a claim. If these immediate family members choose not to file a wrongful death lawsuit, then no one else may do so.
However, there are instances in which other family members may file a wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana.
Without a surviving spouse or children, then the decision passes on to next of kin: parents, siblings and then grandparents, in that order. Any surviving relatives beyond siblings or grandparents (for example, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews or cousins), do not have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana under any circumstances.
In Louisiana, if no family member brings a wrongful death lawsuit, then the executor of the estate may file a claim. While a family member’s claim may seek to recover both economic damages (loss of earnings and support) and non-economic damages (anguish and loss of companionship), any claim brought by the estate may seek to recover economic damages only.
- Am I covered under the Jones Act?
- Can I pursue a wrongful death claim regarding my family member’s death?
- Can I receive compensation for a car accident or truck accident injury?
- Can I receive compensation for an oil rig injury?
- Can I receive compensation if I was injured by a product, such as a ladder or a power tool?
- Can I still receive compensation if I am partially responsible for my own injury?
- Do I have a personal injury case?
- Does Texas law require me to wear a motorcycle helmet?
- How much is my case worth?
- How much will it cost to hire a lawyer?
- How should I choose a lawyer?
- If I am injured while on someone else’s property, can I receive compensation?
- What are compensatory damages?
- What Are Mineral Rights?
- What can I do if someone is spreading false information about my business?
- What if I am not sure who is at fault for my injury?
- What if the person at fault for my accident is deceased?
- What is a material breach?
- What Is a Wrongful Death Claim?
- What is my Houston personal injury case worth?
- What is repudiation of a contract?
- What is the Death on the High Seas Act?
- What is the difference between mediation and arbitration?
- What Is the Jones Act?
- What makes a trucking accident different from other auto accidents?
- What should I do after an accident or injury?
- What should I do if I am having trouble with a business insurance claim?
- What should I do if I feel that my insurance claim was unfairly denied?
- What should I do if I’m involved in a traffic accident?
- Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana?
- Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas?
- Will I have to testify in court for my personal injury case?
- Will my case have to go to trial?